Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Injection

B's now 21 months and doing really well. At the risk of sounding like the boastful mother, his speech seems to be amazing. He can speak in short sentences and copies almost everything we say. Sometimes i hear him repeating back words from what i've been saying, even if it's not to him. He can even sing his 'ABC' from start to finish. It's extremely cute, but I do have to remember that his ears are ALWAYS listening and be careful what I say.

One word he has picked up that i'd rather he hadn't is 'injection'. He watches me injecting my daily Cle.xane and sometimes gets a little upset as he doesn't like anyone doing anything to Mummy - even, it seems, Mummy herself. Anyway, yesterday, he had the syringe that we use to give him his medication (he has a summer head cold) and he started play injecting it into his tummy saying 'injection'. He then did it to me and to his teddy. It's great that he's taking it all in, but I felt a little sad that he should be seeing something like that.

I suppose it's part of life for us IV.F mothers and on the plus side, perhaps he won't be as scared of having injections himself when he has his next vaccinations. Until he feels that it does actually hurt a bit, that is!

I'm doing fine. I've 7 or 8 weeks to go now until the little one arrives (touch wood) and i'm starting to really feel a bit tired. My back is hugely achey - Mr G has taken B this afternoon to give me a bit of a break. I've no complaints at all though. I've friends around me trying for children who haven't had much luck. That feels very weird indeed. That's my job - to be the unsuccessful one. I try to be sensitive and supportive but without being too pushy as to what's going on for them. One has miscarried and would have been due at around the same time as me. I feel bad just being around her, but see her all the time. I don't want to ask her too much as she's a very private person, but i hope I can do the right thing by her.

I just hope and pray that this little one arrives healthy.

5 comments:

Nearlydawn said...

Ah, yes, I did my injections when Jim was just about 24 months. He did the same thing - pretended to "inject" with his medicine syringes. Kinda creepy, but also kinda cool. They really do care about us fully, which is amazing and wonderful, isn't it?

andi said...

Hello my dear - thanks for stopping by.

Wow - you don't have long to go now... very exciting.

I would love to catch up sometime.

Hubby and I are moving to BERLIN - at the end of the month for his job.. but I am going to continue to come back to London for a week or so every month.

Betty M said...

If its any consolation I think my eldest has no memory of all the injections and scans etc that she had to see when I was in treatment the second and subsequent times around.

Glad things are still going well with the pregnancy.

Bea said...

Wow! You are close to cooked!

It is bittersweet about the injection. I mean, so clever to be picking everything up. But it does bring the reality of your life home to you. Hopefully, as you say, a benefit for him in the long term, not being afraid of needles.

Bea

Soapchick said...

Hope you are doing well, sorry it's taken me a few weeks to comment. I know you understand. I hope you are comfortable and can enjoy the last weeks of your pregnancy. :)