Sunday, August 01, 2010

It's been a while (again).

I've had a few thoughts over the last 6 weeks but never seem to find time to get them down on screen.

One has been indignation at all the IV.F scare stories. Every day (well almost) one of our daily nationals carries some bad news story about IVF treatment or babies. It's like they're trying to find stuff to wind us up. Some of the recent headlines have been: "IV.F babies more likely to get cancer", "IV.F babies more likely to be still born" and one last week " IV.F mothers more likely to die in childbirth"!

That last one was the most ridiculous. The one example of a mother who had died in childbirth had died when the anaesthetist had put the oxygen tube down the wrong passage. What's THAT got to do with IV.F for goodnessake?!! I'd link to the piece, but it was in our Sunday Times - which has retreated behind a pay wall. I've found a link to the stats in another paper here

I'm willing to accept that there are more older mums which is perhaps as a result of IV.F but enough already with the scare stories. I can come up with enough scarey stuff on my own!

I'm nearly 31 weeks, and, other than being tired, am (touch wood) doing ok. B is as gorgeous as ever. Can sing his whole ABC now - I especially like how he was W - "wubblewoo". SO totally cute!

I'll post more soon. If I keep it short perhaps i'll manage more than one post each 6 weeks!

2 comments:

Betty M said...

Good to hear from you!

Those stories are so very annoying. Like most stories on science in the popular press they fail to report studies accurately. There is a greater risk of for eg congenital abnormalities with IVF but the risk goes from very very very low to very very low so in the scheme of things it is probably irrelevant to most people.

andi said...

Hello sweetheart - it has been sooooooo long!

I am so thrilled for your miracle frozen baby in your belly.

My donor triggered last night - starting to feel the pit of doom settle into my 'gut. You know the - 'it never works' etc.

But I am fighting against it.

Will keep you posted. And yes, I am in London.