Wednesday, September 09, 2009

This n that

First, a big shout out to my wonderful BeeCee who'd had fantastic news. I cannot begin to say how excited I am for her!

A few little changes in both my sides of the early stages of quest for B's sibling:

Frozen Cycle
Spoke to both clinics about moving my one solitary frostie from old clinic to new one. Various forms must be signed and transport arranged. I could pay someone called Costa £150 to move the embie across London or I could borrow a Transporter (which sounds a bit S.tar Tre.k) from new clinic and make the journey myself.

Or I could leave it there and have old clinic transfer the embryo. That would be the least trouble and cheapest option. New clinic's frozen cycle is about 1/2 the cost of their fresh cycle which in turn is double that of other clinics. The cost is likely to be the same as a whole fresh cycle elsewhere. As the chances of a safe defrost are only about 50% then i must be mad throwing our money away like that.

The big BUT is that new clinic did something that meant I have B. Maybe it was just the right egg/embryo but maybe it was their much longer and more careful transfer procedure - without scan, unlike every other clinic. If it fails - as is likely - then i'd rather it failed at new clinic where I know i've given it my best shot.

What do you think? Should I just get it defrosted and transferred and not spend too much on it? Throw everything at it as who knows if i'll be able to face IV.F again? Waderidoo?

Met a girl at a local playgroup with two gorgeous little girls. One, mixed race and one white. Turns out they're adopted and are sisters - both with a Polish mother. They were living with different families - i don't know the detail just yet as I was also chasing B around and listening from afar - and she's adopted them and they're now reunited with her as their Mum. She had their snacks in the same green rucksack I use for baby snacks. I got it 'free' from the drug company to carry my Pu.regon. I knew she had to have an IV.F history but she'd obviously got her happy ending via adoption.

I struck up a chat with her over the rucksack and we're meeting up next week to talk about how she adopted her little girls. It didn't sound quite as grim as I expected so perhaps there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Monitored Cycle
Found out my stats for this month. FS.H was EIGHT! EIGHT! I haven't had a score in single figures since I was 37. LH, Oestradiol and Prolactin also all checked out in the normal range. I'm sure i've not had a fertility renaissance, but it was SO encouraging not to have gone through the fertile ceiling just yet.

I just know i'm going to be in turmoil over what to do. Mr G and I will have some soul searching to do over B's sibling and whether we're strong enough to weather more treatment or even the pressures of adoption.


Hopeful Mother said...

It's definitely a tough decision. I'm not in your shoes, so I'm not sure what I'd do. But - I would certainly be tempted to try with the frozen one - not sure where is the best choice though. I think I would be a little concerned about the transport myself.

Whatever your decision, I wish you and Mr. B all the luck in the world.

p.s. Are you reading my invite-only blog? If not, send me an email at hopefulmotherblog at gmail dot com and I'll send you an invite.

babygaga said...


I had these thoughts you are having, whether we should just adopt straight away with the secure end result of a baby, whenever that would be. We are suffering from male factor infertility to.

We have come to the conclusion (might change don´t know) to start with IVF and hopefully have a baby that way, and then start adoption procedures to have baby nr 2. Still not knowing whether the IVF will work for us, I think the thought of adoption is more reassuring, as it gives me the comfort to know that it will happen. Regardless of they way to get there.
But I´m not actually convinced that that is my preferred option to adopt, maybe it is just some kind of a back up plan, to keep my spirits high.